Welcome to ISONG
Explore our resources and knowledge of human genetics into your nursing practice, education and research activities. We offer accurate and current content on human genetics and genomics in addition to forums for professional networking and discussions.
We encourage unlimited reproduction for educational purposes with appropriate acknowledgement of the author and source. Unless otherwise indicated, all original documents in this site are copyrighted by ISONG.
The International Society of Nurses in Genetics, ISONG, is a global nursing specialty organization dedicated to genomic health care, education, research, and scholarship.
The vision of ISONG is: Caring for people's genetic and genomic health throughout the lifespan and across the continuum of health and disease.
The mission of ISONG is to serve both the nursing profession and the public. ISONG fosters and advocates for the scientific and professional development of its members and the nursing community, in the discovery, interpretation, application, and management of genomic information, for the promotion of the public's health and wellbeing. ISONG advocates for public understanding of genomic health and use of genomic information.
The goals of ISONG are to:
1. Build and sustain a vibrant international community for the development of nurses in genetics and genomics in relation to education, research and professional practice that enhances social capital by:
- fostering effective communication and networking with nursing organizations and other genetics specialty groups;
- promoting interprofessional collaboration in the care of people, families, and communities at risk for genetic conditions;
- providing a forum for education and support for nurses providing genetic- and genomics-based healthcare.
2. Promote the integration of genetics and genomics across nursing education, research and care at all levels of professional practice, through:
- promoting engagement of nurses with genetics and genomics;
- sharing expertise and best practice in education, research and care delivery;
- offering practical support for continuing professional development.
3. Demonstrate and promote leadership in the development and implementation of standards of healthcare practice in genetics and genomics for the benefit of patients and families, through:
- leading and influencing public policies;
- articulating standards of practice in nursing professional education and clinical care;
- generating and disseminating evidence for high quality nursing practice;
maintaining an outward-facing approach to collaborative working with other relevant public and professional groups.
ANCC Announces Hold on Certification through Portfolio credential for Advanced Genetics Nursing.
On October 11th ISONG received notification that the The American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) will no longer offer the certification though portfolio.
ANCC that they are ending all seven of their Portfolio programs for board certification including the Advanced Genetics Certification. ANCC sent an official letter to ISONG on Monday, October 9 which can be viewed here. We wanted to alert members of our organization about this notification as soon as possible.
ISONG is seeking to secure an extension and will send notifications of any further results and updates.
We welcome input from our members on this issue and please forward any comments you would like to share to ISONGHQ@msn.com with SUBJECT LINE: ANCC. We will keep you informed of all developments with this issue.
If you have any questions please contact ISONG at 412-344-1414.
ISONG offers members opportunities for education, leadership, exchange and socialization. Members receive the latest references on genetics including educational programs and opportunities, e communications, membership directory, program information and a discounted registration fee for the annual ISONG meeting and educational webinars. Also, ISONG members are eligible to apply for the annual research grant awards.
Who are the members of ISONG? Any registered nurse who has an interest in genetics is welcome to become a member of ISONG. Our membership is diverse and reflects the broad needs of those who have genetic problems. Current members are:
- Coordinators of public and private programs
- Educators in the field of nursing and/or genetics
- Genetic counselors
ISONG Membership Brochure
Click here for English
Click here for Hebrew
Click here for French
Click here for Spanish
For Members Only Information including Member Directory, Educational Programs and Job Opportunities, log in on our Members Only page.
Click here for more information on our new Developing Countries Membership Level option.
Like Us - Try Us! Experience the Benefits of ISONG Membership
New members can experience the benefits of ISONG full membership for the reduced rate of $100 USD for 12 months (reduced from usual $150). Full members can join by clicking on the Join Now link and entering the code: TRY US at the bottom of the application form. This offer is available to the first thirty new members.
Full - $150.00 (USD)
Full 3-Year - $350.00 (USD)
Student - $100.00 (USD)
Retired - $100.00 (USD)
Retired 3-Year - $250.00 (USD)
Affiliate - $100.00 (USD)
Affiliate 3-Year - $250.00 (USD)